Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Most Delicious Yarn You Have Never Heard Of (possibly)

(Ok, so I ended a phrase with a preposition.)
This is Cormo, by Foxhill Farms in Massachusetts. AMAZING stuff.



I am a farm yarn freak. And I love natural colors. My friend Karen, who is quite the yarn connoiseur, turned me on to this yarn some years ago. I have been hoarding it ever since in my stash. This yarn is so soft, so squishy, so amazingly beautiful. It feels like the most resilient cotton. I cannot praise it highly enough.

When I Googled it, to come up with a link for you to read about it, I found that many bloggers have also sung it's praises. But the owner of Foxhill Fiber, Alice Fields, doesn't have a website. She sells her yarns at the New York Sheep and Wool Festival. So, next October, run, do not walk, to her stall and bury your hands in some of this amazing fiber.


I highly recommend the natural colored wool.
The Cormo sheep:


Look at this beautiful boy.
The Cormo is a breed that is a cross of Corriedale and Merino sheep. The Corriedale is in itself a Merino cross. So, you can imagine how soft this yarn is. The Cormo originated in Tasmania, and was introduced into the U.S. in 1976.

Did you know that there are hundreds of sheep breeds? Hundreds and hundreds. I have included a link to Sheep 101, so you can look at the amazing diversity in this beautiful, useful animal.






2 comments:

  1. The Chalk Dust Knitters hope to make a field trip to the Wool Festival in Oct. and will look her up.
    Love the Sheepy site and I put it on my favs.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One friend of mine sent me some cormo fiber. Another sent me some rabbit fur from her rabbit. I'll be sending both off to a soon-to-be friend in a swap group to drum card and batt them both together for me. I can't wait! And yes, next time I see you, I'll have it on hand so we both can fondle it.

    Happy New Year, my friend!

    ReplyDelete